Friday, April 19, 2013

Views of Beirut, 2012

As I was gazing through the bus window at the Beirut cityscape one afternoon, I realized how this place never ceases to charm me. There is something about Beirut, a beauty that is neither quite slick nor gritty, but is nevertheless there, and undeniably so. The elegant balcony railings, the rebellious graffiti, the colorful shutters, and this omnipresent warm yellow, coating the walls of so many buildings.

I haven't been very good at posting pictures on this blog. I actually haven't been very good at taking pictures, period. But here are a few I took last year, mostly in the neighborhood of Hamra and nearby. I have since then moved to the east side of Beirut, and hopefully I'll take the time to capture some more views of the city.

Manara


Hamra

"Hamra street, the street of colors," or one of my favorite Arabic songs

An alternative take on the hand of Fatima

Hamra

A military post in Manara


Manara

Manara

Qoreitem

Gemmayzeh

Gemmayzeh

Virgin Mary and her plastic flower,
Ashrafieh

No comments:

Post a Comment